Best of Montezuma Map
This map shows my picks for the best stuff to do and best places to eat in Montezuma.
I’ve lived in Montezuma or nearby since 2004 and have spoken with thousands of clients and guests at my rental houses or hotel, and these are the best of the best based on that consensus. Trip Advisor is useful, but some people can (and do) manipulate the votes by getting their friends to vote for their business, so it can’t really be trusted, although if you compare the two, they’re a pretty good match.
A quick list of the best of the best:
- Cocolores – Also beachfront. They aren’t rated as high as they should be on Trip Advisor, because of their grumpy staff. But the food is amazing and people go back again and again.
- Playa de los Artistas – Amazing beachfront dining experience. Arrive before sunset and take hours to eat. Expensive but worth it. One of the most famous restaurants in Costa Rica for over a decade.
- Puggo’s – One of the newer restaurants. Everything on the menu is completely delicious. The first time I had the “whole baked fish” I thought it was the best fish I had ever eaten.
- Tierra y Fuego – Located way up in the hills of Delicias, their pizza and pasta are among the best in Costa Rica. Only currently open Thurs-Sunday.
- Ylang Ylang – An excellent beachfront restaurant and dining experience that’s a 10-15 minute walk up the beach from Montezuma.
Best things to do:
- Hike to Montezuma Falls – Everyone does it and you should too. The lower pool is 15 minutes from the road. The upper pools you get to by climbing up a near cliff. Hundreds do it every day though.
- Surf Lessons – Contact Young Vision Surf School and walk out to Playa Grande for a lesson. The instructors are amazingly fun and energetic people.
- Playa Grande Hike – One of the most beautiful hikes in the world, it take 30 minutes to head to this beach. Or walk for two hours and make it to El Chorro waterfall and cove. You can also go by horse.
- Horseback tour to the Florida Waterfalls. This is awesome. Our guests say they like it even more than the beach hikes
- Playa las Manchas – One of the cutest beaches in the universe, this white sand beach also has the best snorkeling spot around.
- Las Rocas – Just north of playa los cedros is this great spot, with tons of tidepools, a zillion fish in the water, a sandy cove, a river and a rope-swing for kids to play on. Highly recommended for families with young kids.
- Canopy Tour – Also known as zip lining, this is quite a thrill, and includes a stop to swim at the highest pool of Montezuma Falls.